Pharmaceutical Waste Services
Disposing pharmaceuticals properly is critical. Pharmaceutical waste is regulated by state and federal laws, and there’s a huge risk of harmful medications negatively impacting the environment if they are disposed of improperly.
Whether you operate a healthcare facility, hospital, retail pharmacy, or need to dispose of expired medications at home, certain precautions need to be taken to ensure your organization is compliant and not affecting the environment with improper pharmaceutical waste disposal.
Medical Waste Pros can help ensure your company is compliant and that you have the proper program in place with the amount of pharmaceutical waste you produce. We’ll provide you with containers, schedule a regular pick-up or set up your mail-back service, and eliminate the risk of harmful medications affecting your patients, staff, and the environment.
To get started, give us a call at (303) 214-5603 or fill out the form to the right!
What is Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste, and How Do I Manage It Properly?
All expired pharmaceuticals or other pharmaceutical wastes are going to be regulated by Environmental Protection Agency along with your State Health Department. The things in pharmaceuticals that help people can hurt the environment even more.
Since most medicines are highly concentrated, and those concentrations generally don’t degrade over time, there’s a tremendous danger if they’re not disposed of properly.
Certain requirements must be met for a pharmaceutical to be classified as hazardous waste:
- The sole active ingredient in the pharmaceutical that needs to be disposed of is listed by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) as a hazardous waste,
- It contains ingredient(s) that result in the pharmaceutical exhibiting characteristics of hazardous waste (ignitable, corrosive, reactive/explosive, or toxic/radioactive), which requires that it be treated as hazardous waste under RCRA.
- The material is already regulated by your state environmental agency.
If any or all of these items apply, you should take the proper steps to ensure you are disposing of them properly. That’s where Medical Waste Pros can help!
Customized Programs for Your Pharmaceutical Waste Management
Medical Waste Pros will help you find the right system and schedule that works for your organization. If you need to dispose of pharmaceuticals on a regular schedule, or just need a periodic on-call pick-up, we can find a local provider to help you.
We service any industry, but our pharmaceutical waste disposal experts focus on the following organizations:
Hospitals – Including managing pharmaceutical waste in any hospital setting, surgery centers, laboratories, blood banks, and more.
Clinics – Do you have a retail clinic or do you run a private practice? Learn how we can help manage your medical waste and pharmaceutical waste efficiently and affordably.
Pharmacies – Our experts can help retail pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies with easy-to-manage systems to ensure expired medications are disposed of properly.
Long-Term Care/Hospice Facilities – Several unique aspects are involved in long-term care pharmaceutical disposal- we make sure you understand what you need to help protect your employees and residents.
We also serve Veterinarians, Dentists, and Research facilities to help them strengthen their compliance efforts and protect their employees from harm. Pharmacists must comply with the Medication Management Standards mandated by the Joint Commission.
Is My Organization At Risk?
To remain in compliance, you need to be vigilant. There are several telltale signs that your organization might be risking the improper disposal of pharmaceuticals:
- If you ask employees about the details of your pharmaceutical waste disposal program, would they be able to explain it to you? The most common violation is improper or insufficient training, which leads to mislabeling or mishandling.
- Are you disposing of unused liquid or any other pharmaceuticals by flushing them down the drain (also known as sewering)? Knowingly dumping hazardous waste can actually result in jail time!
- Have you been diligent to ensure that pharmaceuticals listed by RCRA aren’t being mixed with other nonhazardous materials? One violation can lead to heavy fines.
- Do you have an emergency contingency plan in place? What happens if disaster strikes?
Get Free, No-Obligation Quotes on Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal In Littleton, CO Today
Medical Waste Pros can help you develop a program that ensures you comply with all required regulations, and we will assist you in finding a professional medical waste disposal company right in your area to help you with training and proper medical and prescription disposal management.
We’ll help you select the containers, schedule, and system that works best for your organization. To get free quotes on common medical waste disposal, fill out the form to the right, or give us a call at (303) 214-5603. Get a Free Quote!