Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal
Disposing pharmaceuticals properly is critical. State and federal laws regulate pharmaceutical waste, and there’s a huge risk of harmful medications negatively impacting the environment if they are disposed of improperly.
Medical Waste Pros can help ensure your company is compliant. We will help you have the appropriate program in place for the amount of pharmaceutical waste you create. We’ll provide you with containers, schedule a regular pick-up or set up mail-back service, and eliminate the risk of harmful medications affecting your patients, staff, and the environment.
To get started, give us a call at (720) 399-6822 or fill out the form to the right!
What is Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste, and How Do I Manage It Properly?
All expired pharmaceuticals, or other pharmaceutical wastes will be regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency and your State Health Department. The ingredients in pharmaceuticals that help people can also hurt the environment.
Most medicines are highly concentrated and generally don’t degrade quickly over time. There’s a tremendous danger if they’re not disposed of properly.
Let’s look at the specific requirements that make a pharmaceutical fall into the classification of hazardous waste:
- The sole active ingredient in the pharmaceutical that needs to be disposed of is listed by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) as a hazardous waste,
- It contains ingredient(s) that result in the pharmaceutical exhibiting hazardous waste characteristics (ignitable, corrosive, reactive/explosive, or toxic/radioactive), which requires that it be treated as hazardous waste under RCRA.
- Your state environmental agency already regulates the material.
If any or all of these items apply, you should take the proper steps to ensure you dispose of the waste properly. And that’s where Medical Waste Pros can help!
Customized Programs for Your Pharmaceutical Waste Management
Medical Waste Pros will help you find the right system and schedule that works for your organization. If you need to dispose of pharmaceuticals regularly or just need a periodic on-call pick-up, we can find a local provider to help you.
We service any industry, but our pharmaceutical waste disposal experts focus on the following organizations:
Including managing pharmaceutical waste in any hospital setting, surgery centers, laboratories, blood banks, and more.
Do you have a retail clinic or run a private practice? Learn how to help manage your medical and pharmaceutical waste efficiently and affordably.
Our experts can help retail pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies with easy-to-manage systems to properly dispose of expired medications.
Long-Term Care/Hospice Facilities
Several unique aspects are involved in long-term care pharmaceutical disposal- we make sure you understand what you need to help protect your employees and residents.
We also serve Veterinarians, Dentists, and Research facilities to help them strengthen their compliance efforts and protect their employees from harm. Pharmacists must comply with the Medication Management Standards mandated by the Joint Commission.
Is My Organization At Risk?
To remain in compliance, you need to be vigilant. There are several telltale signs that your organization might be risking the improper disposal of pharmaceuticals:
- If you ask employees about the details of your pharmaceutical waste disposal program, would they be able to explain it to you? The most common violation is improper or insufficient training, which leads to mislabeling or mishandling.
- Are you disposing of unused liquid or any other pharmaceuticals by flushing them down the drain (also known as sewering)? Knowingly dumping hazardous waste can result in jail time!
- Have you been diligent in ensuring that pharmaceuticals listed by RCRA aren’t mixed with other nonhazardous materials? One violation can lead to heavy fines.
- Do you have an emergency contingency plan in place? What happens if disaster strikes?
Get Free, No-Obligation Quotes on Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal In Golden, CO Today
Medical Waste Pros can help you develop a program that ensures you comply with all required regulations. We will assist you in finding a professional medical waste disposal company right in your area to help you with training and proper medical and prescription disposal management.
We’ll help you select the containers, schedule, and system that works best for your organization. Get a Free Quote! Fill out the form to the right, or give us a call at (720) 399-6822.