What Are Sharps?
Sharps are precisely what they sound like. They are sharp and can slice or cut your skin. Sharps can prick or stick you, drawing blood. A few examples are:
- Syringes with and without needles
- Scalpel blades
- Lancets or “fingerstick” devices
- Razor blades
- Suture needles
- Acupuncture needles
- Blood vials
- Culture dishes and slides
- Trauma scene waste that can cut, slice or pierce
- Broken glass from the laboratory, including slides, slide covers, and more
Medical sharps are extremely hazardous. These sharps may be contaminated with infectious agents such as Hepatitis C (HCV), Hepatitis B (HBV), or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). If they are contaminated and break your skin, they will most likely infect you. Anyone who handles medical sharps takes that risk. Everyone should avoid the unnecessary handling of sharps. It could be fatal.
Does It Matter What Kind Of Disposal Container I use?
Sharps should never be flushed down a toilet, nor should someone dispose of them in regular trash cans/trash bags. Instead, they are intended to be disposed of in approved sharps disposal containers. Those containers are made out of rigid plastic and fit in one of two categories:
- REUSABLE SHARPS CONTAINERS are designed to be emptied, sanitized, and used again for sharps collection.
- SINGLE-USE SHARPS CONTAINERS are thrown away with the sharps. These containers can be used for both mail back and ongoing services.
By placing your sharps in safe, reinforced, authorized sharps disposal units, you keep yourself and those around you safe from the potential dangers posed by these items. You will ensure your employees and the general public are protected from the risks associated with sharps disposal.
Secure, Reputable Sharps Disposal In Fort Collins
Medical Waste Pros Fort Collins will connect you with a local provider that will supply you with suitable containers for the safe disposal and transport of sharps. To make sure you are compliant with all local, state, and federal medical waste disposal laws, call us or fill out the form to the right to get a free quote today! Your provider will then begin a scheduled pick-up system if you need regular service, or they will be on-call, waiting when you need them.
Regulation of sharps disposal generally occurs at the county and local levels to keep employees and patients safe from harm. Ensure you know the regulations regarding your state—it may dictate what objects you can (and can’t) use for sharps disposal.
How Our Process Works In Fort Collins:
If you need medical waste disposal, we’ll connect you with a provider quickly and easily. Here’s how our process works:
- Fill out the form to the right or call us at (970) 232-2944. We’ll connect you in minutes with a local provider at no charge to you.
- Once you contact us, we’ll provide your request to the providers in the Fort Collins area, and they’ll contact you with a no-obligation quote for your service.
- Gather the quotes for your customized service and choose the provider that fits the services and frequency that you require.
Our local providers in Fort Collins are equipped to handle disposal jobs of any size and have the tools necessary to make the process fast and affordable. You’ll have the option of choosing between mail-back disposal services, scheduled pick-ups, and on-call pick-ups.
How Do You Get Free, No-Obligation Quotes on Sharps Containers and Sharps Disposal Services in Fort Collins, Today?
Contact us today. We will help you find the right company to dispose of your medical waste, and if you have sharps, they will provide the best containers to suit your needs.
What you need will depend on how often you need medical and hazardous waste disposal. To get started today, fill out the form to the right, or give us a call at (970) 232-2944. We’ll get you free, customized, no-obligation quotes within minutes!