Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal
It is critical to Dispose of pharmaceuticals properly. State and federal laws regulate pharmaceutical waste. There’s a considerable risk of harmful medications negatively impacting the environment if disposed of improperly.
Medical Waste Pros is your partner in compliance and safety. We will help you put the appropriate program in place for the amount of pharmaceutical waste you create. We’ll provide you with containers, schedule a regular pick-up or set up mail-back service, and eliminate the risk of harmful medications affecting your patients, staff, and the environment.
To get started, give us a call at (970) 232-2944 or fill out the form to the right!
What is Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste, and How Do I Manage It Properly?
Your State Health Department and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulate all expired pharmaceuticals or other pharmaceutical wastes. The ingredients in pharmaceuticals that help people can also hurt the environment.
Most medicines are highly concentrated and generally don’t degrade quickly over time. There’s a tremendous danger if they’re not disposed of properly.
Let’s look at the specific requirements that cause a pharmaceutical to be classified as hazardous waste:
- The sole active ingredient in the pharmaceutical that needs to be disposed of is listed by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) as a hazardous waste
- It contains ingredient(s) resulting in the pharmaceutical exhibiting hazardous waste characteristics (ignitable, corrosive, reactive/explosive, or toxic/radioactive), which must be treated as hazardous waste under RCRA
- Your state environmental agency already regulates the material
If any or all of these conditions apply, take the proper steps to ensure you dispose of the waste properly. That’s where Medical Waste Pros can help!
Customized Programs for Your Pharmaceutical Waste Management
Medical Waste Pros will help you find the right system and schedule that works for your organization. If you must dispose of pharmaceuticals regularly or just need a regular on-call pick-up, we can find a local provider to help you.
We service any industry, but our pharmaceutical waste disposal experts focus on the following organizations:
Hospitals – Our services include managing pharmaceutical waste in any hospital setting, surgery centers, laboratories, blood banks, and more.
Clinics – Do you have a retail clinic or run a private practice? Learn how to manage your medical and pharmaceutical waste efficiently and affordably.
Pharmacies – Our experts can help retail pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies with easy-to-manage systems for the proper disposal of expired medications.
Long-Term Care/Hospice Facilities – Several unique aspects are involved in long-term care pharmaceutical disposal. We make sure you understand what you need to help protect your employees and residents.
We also serve veterinarians, dentists, and research facilities to help them strengthen their compliance efforts and protect employees from harm. Pharmacists must comply with the Medication Management Standards mandated by the Joint Commission.
Is My Organization At Risk?
To remain in compliance, you need to be vigilant. There are several telltale signs that your organization might be taking a risk with improper disposal of pharmaceuticals:
- If you ask employees about the details of your pharmaceutical waste disposal program, can they explain it to you? The most common violation is improper or insufficient training, leading to mislabeling or mishandling.
- Are you disposing of unused liquid or any other pharmaceuticals by flushing them down the drain (also known as sewering)? Knowingly dumping hazardous waste can result in jail time!
- Are you diligent in ensuring pharmaceuticals listed by RCRA aren’t mixed with other nonhazardous materials? One violation can lead to heavy fines.
- Do you have an emergency contingency plan in place? What happens if disaster strikes?
Get Free, No-Obligation Quotes on Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal In Fort Collins, CO Today
Medical Waste Pros can help develop a program ensuring you comply with all required regulations. We assist in finding a professional medical waste disposal company right in your area to help you with training and proper medical and prescription disposal management.
We’ll help you select the containers, schedule, and system that works best for your organization. Fill out the form to the right, or give us a call at (970) 232-2944 to get a free quote!.