Proper disposal of pharmaceuticals properly is critical. State and federal laws regulate pharmaceutical waste, and there’s a massive risk of harmful medications negatively impacting the environment if disposed of improperly.
Whether you operate a healthcare facility, hospital, or pharmacy or need to dispose of expired medications at home, you must take certain precautions to ensure your organization is compliant and not affecting the environment with improper pharmaceutical waste disposal.
Medical Waste Pros can help ensure your company is compliant and that you have the proper program in place with the amount of pharmaceutical waste you produce. We’ll provide you with containers, schedule a regular pick-up or set up your mail-back service, and eliminate the risk of harmful medications affecting your patients, staff, and the environment.
What is Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste, and How Do I Manage It Properly?
All expired pharmaceuticals and other pharmaceutical waste will be regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency and your State Health Department. The things in medicines that help people can hurt the environment even more.
Since most medicines are highly concentrated, and those concentrations generally don’t degrade over time, there’s a tremendous danger if they’re not disposed of properly.
Specific requirements must be met for a pharmaceutical to be classified as hazardous waste:
- The sole active ingredient in the pharmaceutical that needs to be disposed of is listed by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) as a hazardous waste,
- It contains ingredient(s) that result in the pharmaceutical exhibiting hazardous waste characteristics (ignitable, corrosive, reactive/explosive, or toxic/radioactive), which must be treated as hazardous waste under RCRA.
- Your state environmental agency already regulates the material.
If any or all of these items apply, you should take the proper steps to ensure you dispose of the waste properly. That’s where Medical Waste Pros can help!
Customized Programs for Your Pharmaceutical Waste Management.
Medical Waste Pros Boulder will help you find the right system and schedule that works for your organization. If you need to dispose of pharmaceuticals regularly or want on-call pick-ups only when necessary, we can find a local provider to help you.
We service any industry, but our pharmaceutical waste disposal experts focus on the following organizations:
Hospitals– Including managing pharmaceutical waste in any hospital setting, surgery centers, laboratories, blood banks, and more.
Clinics – Do you have a retail clinic or run a private practice? Learn how we can help manage your medical waste and pharmaceutical waste efficiently and affordably.
Pharmacies– Our experts can help retail pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies with easy-to-manage systems to properly dispose of expired medications.
Long-Term Care/Hospice Facilities– Several unique aspects are involved in long-term care pharmaceutical disposal- we make sure you understand what you need to help protect your employees and residents.
We also serve Veterinarians, Dentists, and Research facilities to help them strengthen their compliance efforts and protect their employees from harm. Pharmacists must comply with the Medication Management Standards mandated by the Joint Commission.
Is My Organization At Risk?
To remain in compliance, you need to be vigilant. There are several telltale signs that your organization might be risking the improper disposal of pharmaceuticals:
- If you ask employees about the details of your pharmaceutical waste disposal program, would they be able to explain it to you? The typical violation is caused by improper or insufficient training, leading to mislabeling or mishandling.
- Are you disposing of unused liquid or solid pharmaceuticals by flushing them down the drain (also known as sewering)? Knowingly dumping hazardous waste can result in jail time!
- Have you been diligent in ensuring that pharmaceuticals listed by RCRA aren’t being mixed with other nonhazardous materials? One violation can lead to heavy fines.
- Do you have an emergency contingency plan in place? What happens if disaster strikes?
Get Free Quotes on Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal In Boulder
Medical Waste Pros will get you where you need to go to develop a program that ensures you comply with regulations. We assist you in finding a professional medical waste disposal company in your area to help you with training and proper medical and prescription disposal management.
Then, you can select the containers, schedule, and management system that works best for your organization. To get free quotes on standard pharmaceutical waste disposal, fill out the form or give us a call at (303) 937-4496.