When you have small amounts of needles, syringes, lancets, and other sharps you need to dispose, sharps mail back services provide an easy and cost-efficient alternative to pickup services geared more for large-scale medical waste disposal.
Rather than a truck coming to your location, the materials to safely package and mail back your sharps are sent to you instead with things ranging from approved disposal containers and protective bag liners to USPS-approved return boxes with prepaid postage.
Why Mail Back Your Sharps?
Using mail back services offers a variety of benefits to help you with safely disposing your sharps.
With sharps mail back the process is as simple as filling up your containers, packaging them, and then sending them in for safe disposal—and all without needing any scheduling.
While it does require safe containers to transport the potentially hazardous waste, with sharps mail back they’re provided with the service, giving you all the supplies you need to send in your materials and helping to save you time while collecting sharps.
Besides providing the various materials needed for mail back services like approved disposal containers, protective bag liners, and USPS-approved return boxes, sharps mail back also saves on indirect costs.
Compared to other services, sharps mail back eliminates extra costs such as transportation fees for pick up or time costs if you took your sharps to a medical waste drop off collection point.
It might feel uncomfortable to simply package your medical waste and the PHI that goes with it and just send it away, but sharps mail back takes extra steps to give you assurance of secure destruction.
After you send in your sharps you’re given what’s called a manifest confirmation of destruction, which provides details about the disposal process and can be used for proof of compliance with laws like HIPAA.
How It Works
Sharps mail back is a simple 4 step process:
- Your destruction provider sends the packaging materials you’ll need to store your potentially hazardous waste, including things like disposal containers, protective bag liners, barcode tracking, and a USPS-approved return box.
- Over time collect your needles, syringes, and lancets in the bins.
- Once containers are full, mail back your sharps package to the destruction provider for proper disposal.
- After receiving your materials, providers send you a formal manifest confirmation of destruction to show that your sharps were safely and securely destroyed both for your own self-assurance as well as if you ever need to provide proof of secure disposal.
Who Benefits Most From Mail Back Sharps Services?
There’s a variety of different sharp waste types produced by businesses, organizations, and individuals that are ideal for sharps mail back services, including:
- Clinical testing laboratory sharps
- Doctor’s office sharps
- Diabetic needles
- Dental sharps
- Home nurse needles
- Law enforcement sharps
- Pharmaceutical sharps
- Veterinary sharps
Get Free Quotes on Sharps Mail Back Disposal Near You
Medical Waste Pros partners with some of the top medical waste disposal providers who can help you to safely, legally, and efficiently get rid of sharps and other medical waste.