Proper Medical Waste Disposal
Not every type of medical waste should be disposed of in the same manner. There are very serious consequences on the local and state level if certain types of medical waste are mishandled.
Here are some general guidelines to ensure that you’re protecting your company, employees, patients, and the environment:
- Don’t move medical waste to a different location – If your facility relocates anywhere in Portland (even across the street), don’t take your medical waste with you. Schedule a pickup by a permitted medical waste hauler receives your waste for transport.
- Don’t place alcohol, aerosols, or any other chemicals into medical waste – Certain chemicals and different types of medical waste are classified as hazardous. Make sure to obtain expert guidance on disposal of any chemicals you may have collected, no matter how small the volume from a waste disposal expert in Portland.
- Don’t discard pharmaceuticals in any other type of medical waste – Pharmaceuticals should be disposed in specific, designed containers. Since many pharmaceuticals don’t degrade over time, there are specific regulations that dictate how these pharmaceuticals should be disposed of properly.
- Don’t leave any medical waste container open or a full waste container unsealed – Full waste containers can topple and spill their potentially infectious content. Be sure that all medical waste is not only disposed of, but also completely sealed to prevent exposure.
- Don’t ignore required training for handling medical waste – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires documented training on blood borne pathogens for anyone who may be at risk of exposure to disease-causing germs present in medical waste every year. Lack in training causes unnecessary exposure that could put your entire facility at risk.
Government regulations on the federal, state, and local level are set in place to ensure that all items used in your home or business that are classified as medical waste are handled and disposed of properly.
Medical Waste Pros Cincinnati can help with your fight to stay compliant with all procedures and avoid and future implications.
Find a disposal professional in Cincinnati by giving us a call at (513) 898-1332.
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Cincinnati?
Remember to always avoid flushing any type of medical waste down the toilet. Whenever medical waste is flushed, the risk to sanitation and sewage treatment employees, janitors, and your family are all put at risk of exposure.
Make sure to be aware of and abide by all local and state regulations for medical waste disposal. There are several services that can eliminate the risk of improper disposal of medical waste:
If your home or organization regularly accumulates a significant amount of medical waste, our local providers can schedule pickups on whatever frequency that makes sense for your needs. Pickup frequencies can vary from a few times a week to annually.
Pickups are always tracked and secured, and you can request a certificate of destruction for your records.
Mailback services are ideal for smaller quantities of sharps, soft medical waste, amalgam, and mercury disposals. Each mailback system will include all the components in storing and packaging your medical waste to be shipped to and disposed at the proper facilities.
This service mirrors our regularly scheduled medical waste disposal services, but can be called at any time for emergency or one time pickups.
If your facility needs an emergency pickup of medical waste or just doesn’t produce enough medical waste to warrant a regular schedule, then our on-call medical waste service is the perfect solution for you.
Whichever medical waste management service you choose, we’ll work to find the best local provider who can meet all your needs. Get Free Quotes Today!
Get Your Free, No Obligation Quotes on Medical Waste Disposal Services in Cincinnati
Let Medical Waste Pros Cincinnati handle all your medical waste disposal needs using our extensive network of local and reliable professionals. Our contractors will ensure that your medical waste is properly disposed of.
Give us a call at (513) 898-1332 or fill out the form on the right to receive your free quotes in just minutes!