Proper Medical Waste Disposal in Boston
Medical waste disposal should be taken seriously, and office procedures should be outlined for every employee who handles medical waste on the job. There are severe repercussions for mishandling medical waste in Massachusetts. To keep your organization compliant and safe, follow industry best practices.
To help businesses create an efficient office disposal system, we have compiled a few tips for managing and organizing medical waste. Keep your office, community, and environment safe by following these general workplace guidelines:
- Hold Regular Training on Medical Waste Management – Yearly, documented training on blood borne pathogens is required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for all employees who may be at risk of exposure to disease-causing germs while on the job. Failing to provide training to employees increases the chances of accidents.
- Keep Aerosols, Alcohol, and any Other Chemicals Separated– Some chemicals and certain types of medical wastes are identified as hazardous and require special disposal. Get in touch with a local professional before disposing of these items to ensure you are working within Massachusetts state laws.
- Keep Pharmaceuticals Separate from Other Types of Medical Waste – Pharmaceuticals must be separately and specifically disposed of because they do not degrade naturally over time. Don’t mix your expired pharmaceuticals with other types of medical waste—put them in separate, clearly labeled containers.
- Don’t Leave Medical Waste Containers Open – As waste is collected, the container it’s held in should be kept closed at all times. Keeping a collection container open or unsecure risks contamination, employee and patient exposure, and spillage.
- Don’t Transport Your Own Medical Waste – The Department of Transportation has rules regarding who can and how to transport medical waste. Even if you’re just relocating across the street, employ a permitted hauler to move your medical waste for you.
Proper procedures for medical waste disposal are set forth by federal and state governments, as well as organizations such as OSHA and the EPA. Safety is the top priority—for the environment, the local community, and public workers.
Medical Waste Pros will help you stay in compliance by matching you with a local, qualified medical waste disposal service provider. Partner with a local company will reduce your liability and ensure a safe and efficient disposal method for your organization.
To find the best disposal company in Boston, call us at (617) 830-1188.
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Boston?
To keep your community safe, never flush medical waste down the drain or dispose of it with normal trash. If you do, anyone who comes in contact with it down the line will risk infection. Instead, partner with a disposal service provider. They engage in proper disposal practices to keep your community safe. Some of the service options available in Boston include:
Mailback services are designed with the small business in mind. Small waste generators, or companies who are remotely located will find this service useful. Your disposal provider will send you a kit with everything you need, from a shipping container, to the waste container, to a prepaid shipping label. You simply follow the instructions—fill your container, pack it up, and send it off.
Any type of medical waste can be mailed. Mercury, amalgam, sharps, pharmaceuticals and more—they just need to be in the proper containers.
Scheduled services are most beneficial to larger companies that regularly produce large volumes of waste. You work your service provider to determine how often your medical waste needs to be picked up and create a schedule.
You are given the proper containers, fill them up, and on the pre-scheduled dates your provider will stop by to pick up your waste. This type of service is convenient—once you create the pickup schedule, it’s entirely automatic and you never have to plan for or think about disposal again.
Also called on-call services, this option is ideal for companies that do not produce a lot of waste or generate waste inconsistently. On-call service don’t require that you sign a contract. You simply collect your waste overtime, and when you need it picked up you call a local provider and they come out within a few days to pick up your waste.
These services are convenient and flexible. If your business is trying to save costs by having medical waste picked up less often, one-time services are right for you.
Each business is run a little differently and requires a customized waste disposal service. We will help you find the best service match for you needs. Get free quotes today!
Get Free Quotes on Reliable Medical Waste Disposal Services
Avoid fines for improper medical waste disposal—partner with a local, capable medical waste disposal contractor today. They have the knowledge and tools to help businesses across industries develop safe and efficient medical waste disposal systems. To get started, fill out the form on the right or call us at (617) 830-1188. We will connect you to our network of local contractors and provide free quotes so you can get on your way to safe medical waste disposal.