Proper Medical Waste Disposal
With several different types of medical waste, it can be difficult to manage the disposal of each and every item for any company. Even though it may be a difficult process, it is crucial every industry complies with state and federal regulations to ensure the safety of your employees and the community.
To keep your organization in compliance with regulations, there are a few rules of thumb to abide by if you want to protect your company, employees, patients, and the environment:
- Keep Pharmaceuticals Separate from Other Types of Medical Waste – Pharmaceuticals do not degrade over time, which is why they must be separately and specifically disposed of. Don’t mix your expired pharmaceuticals with other types of medical waste—put them in separate, clearly labeled containers.
- Don’t Transport Your Own Medical Waste – There are many laws governing the legal transportation of infectious or hazardous waste. To play it safe, if you need to move your pharmaceuticals (even to a relocated office across the street), utilize a permitted medical waste hauler to move your materials for you.
- Don’t Leave Medical Waste Containers Open or a Full Container Unsealed – To help keep your office clean, tidy, and safe, make sure your medical waste containers are closable to keep the contents safe when not in use, and sealable so that when the container is full, it can be sealed completely to avoid any tampering or spills.
- Don’t Mix Alcohol, Aerosols, or Any Other Chemicals with Medical Waste – Certain chemicals and some medical wastes are classified as hazardous and require specific disposal. Be sure to carefully segregate your medical waste, and get the opinion of an expert to be safe.
- Participate in Regular Training – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires yearly, documented training on bloodborne pathogens for every employee at an organization that produces or handles materials containing disease-causing germs. Failing to engage in training creates uneducated employees and puts your facility at risk of exposure to potentially infectious diseases.
It is important to follow the proper procedures and government regulations on the federal, state, and local level to help eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious materials by properly disposing your medical waste.
Medical Waste Pros Columbus will help you determine which items in your company are potentially dangerous and we will have one of our contractors dispose of the waste safely and correctly. If you have an office in Columbus that is in need of a medical waste disposal company, contact us today.
Give us a call at (614) 569-0419 or fill out the form to the right to find a local disposal expert in Columbus.
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Columbus?
To dispose of your medical waste, you will first need to remember not to flush any of the medical waste down the toilet. Doing this can create huge risks of accidental exposure to workers and janitors working in sanitation and sewage sectors.
There are several different steps you can take to safely manage and dispose of your medical waste in Columbus, including:
If you are a company which constantly has large amounts of medical that needs to be disposed of, a regularly scheduled service could be perfect for you. A regularly scheduled service allows you to schedule a time with a local provider to pick up and dispose of your medical waste – whether it be daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or even annually.
If you are looking to send back your waste on your own time, a mailback system could be the best choice for you. Mailback systems include the components required to package your medical waste so you can mail your medical waste and have it disposed of at a secure facility.
These systems are an efficient way to return collected medical waste and are ideal for smaller quantities of soft medical waste, sharps, mercury, and amalgam. However, mailback systems can still be used regardless the quantity and for virtually any type of medical waste.
If your company doesn’t feel the need to set up a regularly scheduled pickup or mailback system then an on-call service designed to be utilized you only really need the service could be the best choice for you. Columbus Medical Waste Disposal can connect you with a local provider that offers an on-call medical waste management service.
This service is no different than a regularly scheduled service, aside from it being picked up on a regular schedule it will only be pickup whenever you call.
Every system has its advantages, so make sure you are choosing a service that best fits your company’s needs and Medical Waste Pros Columbus will get you set up with a provider near you.
Get Free No-hassle Quotes on Medical Waste Disposal Services in Columbus Today
Instead of creating a hazardous environment for you, your employees, and your community, let us provide you with a local medical waste disposal expert to help safely and properly dispose of your medical waste. Medical Waste Pros Columbus will provide you with containers to help you dispose of your waste along with setting up a system that works best for you.
To get started, give us a call today at (614) 569-0419, or fill out a form to the right and you will be provided with contractors around your area and free quotes.