Proper Medical Waste Disposal
There are several different types of medical waste, and it is important to understand the different disposal practices for each item. This can make it difficult for any company to manage in Indianapolis. However, not complying with Indiana medical waste regulations can have dire consequences, so it is important to know how to do it right.
Listed below are a few great tips to ensure your organization is in compliance with state and federal regulations and you are protecting your company employees, patients, and the environment:
- Keep Pharmaceuticals Separate from Other Types of Medical Waste – Pharmaceuticals do not degrade over time, which is why they must be separately and specifically disposed of. Don’t mix your expired pharmaceuticals with other types of medical waste—put them in separate, clearly labeled containers.
- Don’t Transport Your Own Medical Waste – There are many laws governing the legal transportation of infectious or hazardous waste. To play it safe, if you need to move your pharmaceuticals (even to a relocated office across the street), utilize a permitted medical waste hauler to move your materials for you.
- Don’t Leave Medical Waste Containers Open or a Full Container Unsealed – To help keep your office clean, tidy, and safe, make sure your medical waste containers are closable to keep the contents safe when not in use, and sealable so that when the container is full, it can be sealed completely to avoid any tampering or spills.
- Don’t Mix Alcohol, Aerosols, or Any Other Chemicals with Medical Waste – Certain chemicals and some medical wastes are classified as hazardous and require specific disposal. Be sure to carefully segregate your medical waste, and get the opinion of an expert to be safe.
- Participate in Regular Training – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires yearly, documented training on bloodborne pathogens for every employee at an organization that produces or handles materials containing disease-causing germs. Failing to engage in training creates uneducated employees and puts your facility at risk of exposure to potentially infectious diseases.
To help eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious materials, it is important to follow the proper procedures and government regulations on the federal, state, and local level when disposing of your medical waste.
Medical Waste Pros Indianapolis will help you figure out what items in relation to medical issues can be thrown away and which hazardous items need to be disposed of properly keep you in compliance with regulations.
To find a disposal expert in Indianapolis, call us today at (317) 608-0456, or fill out the form to the right!
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Indianapolis?
To safely dispose of medical waste in Indianapolis, you must remember to never flush medical waste down the toilet. Doing this increases the risk of accidental exposure for sanitation and sewage treatment workers, janitors, and your family.
Instead of flushing your medical waste down the toilet or simply tossing the waste into the nearest trashcan there are several different ways you can dispose of and manage your medical waste in Indiana, including:
If you are a company who always has large amounts of medical that needs to be disposed of, a regularly scheduled service is right for you.
A regularly scheduled service allows you to schedule a time with a local provider to pick up and dispose of your medical waste daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or even annually.
If you are looking to send back your waste on your own time, a mailback system could be the best choice for you. Mailback systems include the components required to package your medical waste so you can mail your medical waste and have it disposed of at a secure facility.
These systems are an efficient way to return collected medical waste and are ideal for smaller quantities of soft medical waste, sharps, mercury, and amalgam. However, mailback systems can still be used regardless the quantity and for virtually any type of medical waste.
If your company doesn’t feel the need to set up a regularly scheduled pickup or mailback system then an on-call service designed to be utilized you only really need the service could be the best choice for you.
Indianapolis Medical Waste Disposal can connect you with a local provider that offers an on-call medical waste management service. This service is no different than a regularly scheduled service, aside from it being picked up on a regular schedule it will only be pickup whenever you call.
Get Free No-hassle Quotes on Medical Waste Disposal Services in Indianapolis Today
Let us provide you with a local medical waste disposal expert to help you safely and properly dispose of your medical waste instead of creating a hazardous environment for you, your employees, and your community.
Medical Waste Pros Indianapolis will connect you with an expert that can provide you with special containers and set up a pick-up system that works best for you to help dispose of your waste. To get started fill out the form to the right or give us a call today at (317) 608-0456, and you will be provided with free quotes from local contractors in your area.