Medical Waste Disposal in Pittsburgh
There are several different types of medical waste, and each one requires slightly different disposal techniques. Not complying with local Pittsburgh regulations for medical waste disposal can have severe consequences, so it’s important to do it right.
There are several good rules of thumb to abide by if you want to stay in compliance with the law and keep your staff and community safe:
- Don’t Transport Your Medical Waste – There are rules set forth by the Department of Transportation that stipulate who can and cannot transport medical waste. Avoid accidents and fines by using a permitted hauler.
- Keep Pharmaceutical Waste Separate – Pharmaceuticals have high concentrations and do not degrade on their own. Keep these items separate from other types of medical waste to ensure they are properly disposed of.
- Keep Medical Waste in Secure Containers – Medical waste is can easily infect people and contaminate other objects. Keep it in its own container, out of reach of patients, that can close securely and is labeled appropriately.
- Provide Employee Training – With regular training, all employees are kept on the same page and procedures run smoothly. Training decreases accidents, and there are extensive courses on how to handle blood borne pathogens in the workplace available through OSHA.
- Keep Aerosols, Alcohols, and Other Chemicals Separate – Some chemicals are classified as hazardous, which means they require special treatment before disposal. Keep your medical segregated to improve safety and efficiency.
Keeping your office in order will tremendously help your medical waste disposal efforts. With laws from all levels of government mandating how medical waste is managed, it’s important to establish a firm, efficient system for disposal of infectious items.
Medical Waste Pros Pittsburgh understands the pressures medical facilities are under to responsibly dispose of waste. We also understand that your main job is helping people. Take some of the weight off of your shoulders and enlist the help of disposal professionals. We make the process even easier by providing free quotes on services near you.
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Pittsburgh?
Always avoid flushing medical waste down the toilet or throwing it in with regular trash—it can harm unsuspecting public workers down the line. Instead, partner with a service provider, their options are flexible and comprehensive:
If your business regularly produces large volumes of waste, regularly scheduled waste disposal services will help keep your office safe and clean. These services can be scheduled at any frequency from daily to annually. You simply work with your provider to set a schedule based on the amount of waste you produce and they will come automatically to pick it up.
Your provider will give you the appropriate containers and may be flexible for on-call pickups if necessary. This is simple, reliable service option that is popular among large waste producers.
If you’re business is located remotely or does not produce very much medical waste, mailback kits are affordable and convenient. The kits come with everything you need, from a shipping container to a container for waste. You simply fill up the container, package your materials, and ship it off to your disposal provider.
Mailing medical waste is completely safe as long as you use the right container and properly package everything. You can mail mercury, amalgam, sharps and more, just be sure to follow the instructions.
On-call services are similar to regularly scheduled pickups, expect they aren’t regularly schedule. This service offers you a container, you fill it up overtime, and once its full you call your disposal provider for pick up.
This option is more flexible than regularly scheduled services, and is a good choice for companies who don’t consistently produce waste at an even rate, or are looking to cut down on disposal costs through fewer pickups.
These options work for businesses in any industry, and can work for companies located in remote areas. With these services available, there are no excuses for improperly handling your medical waste. You can even get free quotes on services before you commit to a contract.
Get Free, No Obligation Quotes on Medical Waste Disposal Services in Pittsburgh Today
Always take the proper precautions when disposing of medical waste. The infectious nature of the materials makes them dangerous to anyone who handles them. Use the proper containers and safety procedures to make sure none of your employees or patients is hurt.
Medical Waste Pros Pittsburgh will connect you to local, Allegheny County providers who are trained to handle all types of medical waste. For free quotes on services near you, call our Pittsburgh location at (412) 420-6892 or fill out the form on the right.