Proper Medical Waste Disposal Techniques in Washington DC
Proper Medical Waste Disposal
Mishandling medical waste can lead to serious repercussions—both financial and reputation wise. With all the different types of medical waste it can be discouraging and difficult to try to organize a streamlined waste management procedure.
Luckily there are some rules of thumb any office can follow to make their waste disposal process neat and efficient, while keeping employees and patients safe:
- Perform Regular Employee Training – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires yearly, documented training on blood borne pathogens for all employees who may be exposed to infectious germs. Ineffective training will result in more workplace accidents and an increased risk of improper disposal practices.
- Keep Pharmaceutical Waste Separate from Other Medical Waste Types – There are several distinct types of medical waste, each with their own disposal requirements. Keep all different types of waste segregated in specially designed containers for easy, efficient final disposal.
- Don’t Leave Medical Waste Containers Open – As waste is collected, the container it’s held in should be kept closed at all times. Keeping a collection container open risks contamination, employee and patient exposure, and spillage.
- Keep Alcohol, Aerosols, and Any Other Chemicals Out of Your Medical Waste – Types of waste need to be segregated, and certain chemicals are classified as hazardous and need to be kept separate from normal medical waste.
- Don’t Transport Your Medical Waste – If your business relocates anywhere in Texas, even just across the street, don’t take your waste with you. The Department of Transportation and the United States Postal Service both have regulations regarding who can and how to transport potentially dangerous or infectious substances. If an accident occurs, you will be 100% liable.
The government regulates medical waste in an effort to protect both the general public and the environment. When mingled with normal trash, medical waste can harm anyone who comes into contact with it.
Medical Waste Pros Washington DC strives to keep communities safe by connecting businesses in need of medical waste disposal with our top-tier disposal partners. You will receive proper containers, and a customized waste management process to help make your office safe and efficient.
To find a local medical waste disposal company, call us at (202) 350-9058.
How Can I Dispose of Medical Waste in Washington DC?
If you have even a small amount of medical waste that needs to be disposed of, it’s important to use the correct disposal technique for that type of waste. Flushing waste down the toilet is never a good idea, even if you just have one pill to throw out.
Small amounts of waste can be stored until your volume grows large enough to utilize a disposal service, and there are a variety of service types to meet the needs of any sized disposal job. Here are some of the most popular medical waste disposal services in Washington DC:
On-Call Medical Waste Management Services
If your organization doesn’t generate waste frequently, but does accumulate it over time, on-call services are ideal. With this type of service, you collect your waste and store it until you need it picked up, then you call a disposal company and they stop by to make a one-time pick up.
Medical Waste Pros Washington DC has a network of providers who offer this convenient service option.
Mailback/Shipping and Return Kits
If you generate a small amount of waste or are located in a remote area, mailback disposal services may be your best option. With this service, your disposal contractor will give you a kit with everything you need from containers to a prepaid shipping label. You just pack up your waste and put it in the mail.
Any type of waste (even chemicals and liquids) can be shipped as long as it’s done correctly. Follow the instructions from your waste management contractor to ensure you are doing it right.
Regularly Scheduled Medical Waste Disposal
Most medical waste producers generate waste at a somewhat consistent rate. If this is your situation, ongoing scheduled pickup services might be your best option. Your provider supplies the proper containers, you fill them up, and on predetermined schedule your provide will come remove the waste from your location.
These services can be scheduled at any frequency, be it daily, weekly, monthly, or annually, and the pickups are prescheduled so you never have to worry.
No matter which service model best fits your business, you will find that using a disposal contractor makes the whole process a breeze. Get free quotes on services near you today!
Get Free Quotes on Medical Waste Disposal Services in Washington DC Today
Don’t throw your medical waste in the normal trash and risk the health of your community. Medical Waste Pros Washington DC will get you connected to a reputable local contractor who will supply you with everything you need for a successful medical waste disposal management process.
Call us today at (202) 350-9058 or fill out the form on the right for free quotes on services near you!